What is papercraft? Papercraft is a work of art form that uses materials from paper mainly from sheets of heavy paper, paperboard, or card stock.In general, papercraft worker divided into two parts, the Designer and Builder. Designer are those who designed the papercraft pattern, from an idea or imagination to be a papercraft patterns that have manifested and ready to be printed.
Here are the steps taken by a papercraft designer:
For Papercraft Designer there are some basic steps to designing a papercraft model:#1 Idea (Imagination, reference gathering stage)
At this step an idea about the shape of an object can be derived from his own imagination, or from a real object. If the object is real, it will be the task of the reference collection, the results obtained are in the form of a display object front, side, rear and top / bottom.
#2 3D modeling
3-dimensional modeling can be done with the help of some 3-D software, such as 3DSMax, Google Sketchup, etc. This model will then be dissected into two-dimensional patterns that can be printed on paper.
#3 Unfold (dissect 3D models into papercraft patterns)
To perform this process will generally be used Pepakura Designer software. Through this process we will get a colorless 2-dimensional pattern (blank).
#4 Pattern Coloring
This pattern could be coloring with a variety of graphics software that is pretty widely available, such as Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop, so if this pattern is built into a papercraft then the end result will look attractive because it has a style and color as we want.
#5 Assembly instructions
This step is necessary complementary measures so that this pattern can be assembled by the Builder to listen to instructions.
For some designers steps 2 and 3 are optional, because for some types of models, they can be directly transfer the existing references into papercraft patterns with the help of their logic, and assisted with the graphics software that is pretty much available such as Adobe Illustrator, or Photoshop.
For Papercraft Builder there are four basic steps to building a papercraft modelPatterns Printing
These papercraft patterns need to be derived from a general file like PDF format, to be transformed into a work of papercraft, the pattern of this document needs to be printed on the sheet of paper.
This step can be done by using scissors or cutter, or can use a cutterpen for cutting on the type of pattern that is more complex. It is advisable to use Cutting-mat.
The cut pattern to be folded according certain lines. To be able to fold it neatly, you need patience, and can be aided by scoring before folding. Scoring is the process of diluting the fold line section in a way similar to the draw following the fold line using the multiple selection tools. The empty pen (no ink) or cutterpen could be an option. Specifically when using cutterpen, you need practice to get the right pressure, so that the fold line isn't being cutter, but also strong enough to make the paper easier to fold.
Glue sticks are the choice of adhesive types most commonly used in papercraft. This glue is actually clear when dry, so it is recommended, because it does not leave a trace that will pollute the model. Of course gluing neatness in the model affect the final result.
Talking about papercraft, people sometimes ask: what is the difference between papercraft and origami? In short it can be explained that the art of paper folding (origami) does not involve the gluing process. Incorporation pattern in origami is generally done with tucking technique. At papercraft gluing technique allows a more complex and realistic form (close to its original form).
Papercraft InspirationsAre you ready to make your own papercraft? Here are 50 inspiring papercraft that will help you expand ideas in creating your own papercraft.
1. Visual Paper Design via Mick Theisen
2. Kontraste — コントラスト via Mick Theisen
3. Ilha Formosa via Tien-Min Liao
4. Assembli Paper Sapiens via joop bource
5. Infografica via Matteo Giuseppe Pani
6. Little World via Ceres Lau
7. REFINED Exhibition via Cassie Stegman
8. Lucky Toys via Lobulo Design
9. Promoting Malaysia via Ceres Lau
10. Printable Templates via joop bource
11. Louis Vuitton – Invitation Origami via Happycentro
12. Plazm's 20th Anniversary via Ceres Lau
13. WORDS CAN FLY A THOUSAND MILES via Brian Li
14. Assembli Papershade & Paper Sapiens via joop bource
15. THAT'S ADV, BABY! - "Manifesto" via Fabrizio Tarussio
16. Atype via Lobulo Design
17. LIBRARY via Tawan Ithijarukul
18. Wolfgang Jr. via Olivia King
19. ALU—Company Book via Happycentro
20. Furniture in papercraft via Lobulo Design
21. Paper Worlds via Nacho Rojo
22. Eargarden 2013 via Mick Theisen
23. Lost Boat via William Mirante
24. New Papercuts via Monique van Uden
25. Burger infographic via Monica Sutrisna
26. Teasers for Papercraft Campaign via FullFill
27. ARCHITECT via Tawan Ithijarukul
28. Anchor Butter · Made by Cows via Lobulo Design
29. The Real Deal 100th Issue Cover via Squat Design
30. Paper Tessellation Poster via Martine Strøm
31. Fragments of a Memory via Zet Magsino
32. THE BORDER via Carolin Wanitzek
33. Map of Perú - Papercraft via Carla Eráusquin Bayona
34. EGGTRICK via Noelia Lozano
35. Paper Toy Skull By Proyecto Ensamble via The Pick of the Crab
36. LUMAX #5 via Anna Luszcz
37. TYPOGRAFLY at Nucleus Art Gallery — Illustrated Type
38. STILL LIFE COMES ALIVE via Brian Li
39. RM | PAPERCRAFT via Carolin Wanitzek
40. Poster For Elba via Matteo Giuseppe Pani
41. Floating Island - Mjulien via Julien Michel
42. Start A Collaboration via Ella Zheng
43. Affordable Luxury. YCN Student Awards 2013 - Fedrigoni via Fung Yee Wai
44. Ad Infinitum via FullFill
45. It's not a CGI via Lobulo Design
46. PAPER CLOCK for Hermès via Mathilde Nivet
47. MOOD Nights via SO NOT A DESIGNER
48. Paperplane via Long CAE
49. Winterwald via Stefan Späth
50. 5 Paper Places. via Nancy Cheng
The types and model of papercraft
image source: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Lizard-Papertoy/9424855
Papercraft which form an imaginary shape generated by the designer. This form can be a form of real existing objects with modifications to certain parts to get a simple impression, or cute and fun impression.
image source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhauf/4445706217/in/photostream/
Paper-avatar is a form of papercraft that is a miniature of a person in a caricature style.
image source: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Papertoy-Carolina/2852693
Cubeecraft is a form of papercraft that utilize basic form a box or cube.
image source: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Lamborghini-Aventador-A-E2-Ultimate-Paper-Supercar/10672007
Paper-Model is a form of papercraft that really pay attention to the suitability of the form of the original object. The scale factor is also highly considered in this type of papercraft.