One of the most essential parts of Environmental Graphic Design is a Sign System. Sign System is a series of visual representation and graphic symbols intended as a medium of human interaction with the public space. Sign-divided into four categories, including:
1. Traffic Sign
Sign commonly used on public roads as driving instructions.
2. Commercial Sign
Sign aiming as the name of the store or place of business.
Commonly found in buildings, or public area that serves as a guide or a pointer towards various facilities.
4. Safety Sign
Sign for safety instructions. Commonly used in the building construction area.
Another point to be considered in Environmental Graphic Design is clear and precise communication to convey a message, it must be able to act as navigation, information, branding and identity as well. Environmental Graphic Design is now merging the existing boundaries between architecture, graphic design, sign, public art and advertising. However, Environmental Graphic Design is not merely act as an information or guidance only, but it also must look attractive and eye catching. As we know that with the right combination of typography, color, shape and material can produce a strong sign in terms of both visual and message, or information.
We will be showing you 40 Signage/Wayfinding & Environmental Designs. We will be made aware of how designers incorporate a mix of modernity and culture in some of the designs. Here are the photos:
40 Beautiful Signage / Wayfinding and Environmental Design Examples
1. Sifang Art Museum via Foreign Policy
Set within the gentle terrain of Laoshan in Nanjing, the architecture of Sifang Art Museum is a well-constructed mix of harsh angularity with an elegant appeal whereby the asymmetrical structure hovers in space. Every view angle yielding a different trapezoidal perspective; the collateral system adopts the trapezoidal form. The Chinese saying - Strength within Gentleness - is inspired by bamboo - the material and form used for landscaping and parts of the structure. This underpins the brand identity, describing the gentle landscape where in old China, scholars and artists took recluse to master their craft or refine their thinking. The demure that also balances the masculinity of the architecture. White, is also a canvas a museum would function as.
2. First Choice Liquor Stores via David Popov
Environmental and wayfinding/signage design for a large liquor store chain
3. Wayfinding Westerdals via Marius Holtmon
Wayfinding Westerdals Signage and environmental design.
4. Poziom 511 Signage via Jarek Kowalczyk
Wayfinding system for a hotel.
5. DaySpa via Olof Bruce
Visual identity for DaySpa, a new spa concept in Stockholm, Sweden.
6. Hospital de Braga via Rui Granjo
Through associating the striking ethnography and some of its most emblematic features, together with elements immediately recognized as health care, the logo dictated a strong human and emotional communication scheme that not only reinforced the spirit but also its local heritage of the north of portugal.
7. Mediateket via Madeleine Skjelland Eriksen
Mediateket Library Signage and wayfinding.
8. Esade’s Colors via TwoPoints.Net
9. Bota Bota - branding via Gabriel Lefebvre
Branding, Signage, Art Direction.
10. GRK via RED ANTLER
Branding and design for a restaurant
11. Revolver Coffee via Post Projects
Visual identity for coffee shop.
12. Suite. via Modik
However, not talking about a room anyone, but a Suite, which leads us to a special place, a spacious, luxurious, sensual. The target of the naming of the brand and logo is to represent the erotic in a way implicitly suggesting and playing with imagination.
13. Paralelo 19 via Luiz Abreu
Visual identity, stationery, signage and institutional parts for Paralelo 19.
14. Hospital signage via Jarek Kowalczyk
Wayfinding / signage for a hospital.
15. 3D Neon / Lights Off via Rizon Parein
Neon headline visuals made for an Eristoff vodka campaign (personal executions).
16. Regent Park School of Music via Bruce Mau Design
Branding, Environment design of The Regent Park School of Music.
17. Brooklyn Museum via 2x4
Environmental Design, Signage of Brooklyn Museum.
18. Target Branding via Allan Peters
Target Branding. Ads, Billboards, Exterior and Interior Signage.
19. Casarès–Doisneau schools in Saint-Denis via Jérôme Mignot
Signage of a new elementary schools in Saint-Denis.
20. Shop Before The Shop via Fivethousand Fingers
Signage of a mobile street vendor.
21. Natural Science Museum of Barcelona via Jordi Huaman
Signage for Natural Sciense Museum of Barcelona.
22. ENSA Paris-Belleville via Jérôme Mignot
Signage & Wayfinding for the ENSAPB.
23. Cycle Kids, Breakaway via Bluerock Design
"Cycle Kids promotes healthy lifestyle choices by introducing kids to the joy of bicycling and educating them about bike safety and nutrition. This non-profit group empowers children to develop positive, safe, and active lifelong habits. The Breakaway event is an annual fundraising ride for this Cambridge-based non-profit. The logo is a hand-rendered script that was modified to elevate the event to a sophisticated level. Items included, naming, logo development, cyclist jerseys, t-shirts, water bottles, tickets, rider booklet, signage, website, posters, and more. Project created at © Weymouth Design."
24. User experience for a school library via Simen Strøm Braaten
a wayfinding system for the library at Deakin University.
25. CAC Signage System via BOSCO
Signage and environmental graphics for Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias.
26. Stadtwerk Lehen - signage system via Renzler. Design
Signage system for Stadtwerk Lehen in Salzburg.
27. Black Dog Retail Store via Matt Hammond
Black Dog Brewery retail store concept, design and application across various touchpoints.
28. Chicago Design Museum Way-finding/Signage via Pouya Ahmadi
Way-finding and signage for the first exhibition curated by Chicago Design Museum featuring works of VSA Partners, Ed Fella, Debbie Millman, etc. The design theme evolves around the idea of simplicity and transparency.
29. Parque Moinhos de Vento via Eric Pautz
Signage elements of one of the most important parks of the city.
30. Eleni's NYC via RED ANTLER
signage of a bakery.
31. PM24 via CIP Creative
a contemporary yet sophisticated bistro style identity that flowed through the menu and signage.
32. City of MULHOUSE via Jérôme Mignot
Signage and wayfinding of the city of Mulhouse.
33. Buenos Aires Wayfinding Sistem via Luciano Balzano
Buenos Aires City Wayfinding sistem.
34. 2011 Lumens Signage via Bildi Grafiks
Signage system for 2011 Lumens, a show that brought together a dozen contemporary artists who were commissioned to work with light.
35. Signage system | “Chasopys” creative space via Igor Skliarevsky
Wayfinding and signage system for “Chasopys” Creative Space in Kyiv, Ukraine.
36. Abbaye Du Thoronet via António Queirós Design
Typographic instalation, Signage project. Aluminium 1 cm pieces, water jet cuted and blended.
37. Simone Veil Hospital via Jérôme Mignot
Signage & wayfinding for an hospital in Paris.
38. Aquatics centre - Châteaugiron via Jérôme Mignot
Signage for the the aquatics centre in Châteaugiron.
39. Mango Financial via Bercy Chen Studio
Signage with a vibrant logo and night lighting.
40. SK Telecom 'T' Signage via totalimpact
The signage system and retail store design also adapted the same visual concept for consistency and applied soft curves and clean graphics to provide comfortable environment for customers and enable them to enjoy T’s service. Through this project we not only successfully renewed T’s BI, but also created a holistic strategic identity that applies consistently to space, advertisement, prints and everything else that reaches the customer.